Zeszyt 2 (48) 2018 , DOI: 10.17306/J.JARD.2018.00409
Oluwafemi Oyedeji, Esther Awotunde, Ezekiel Ojediran1, Segun Fakayode
SOCIO-DEMOGRAPHIC DETERMINANTS OF SMALL SCALE FARMERS’ LAND TENURE SYSTEM IN KWARA STATE
This study examined the socio-demographic determinants
of the type of land tenure system used by small
farmers in Kwara State, Nigeria. A two-stage sampling technique
was used to collect data from ninety six farmers for the
purpose of this study. Once collected, the data was analyzed
using both descriptive statistics and a multinomial regression
model. The results of the analysis show that 72.92% of the respondents
are married, 75% are males, 39.58% are aged above
40, 52.08% own 6–10 acres of land, and 75% acquired their
land through inheritance. The result of the multinomial regression
analysis shows that household size, the farmer’s age, gender
and marital status, number of farms, farm size, education
level and land use type were the key determinants for the type
of land tenure system used in the study area. The study concluded
that most respondents have access to farmland either
by inheritance or purchase, as determined by their age, gender,
household size and level of education. This study therefore
recommends that farmland leasing should be encouraged especially
for abandoned inherited farmland, so as to put it into
productive agricultural use.
Keywords: land tenure systems, small farmers, socio-demographic factors, multinomial regression, Kwara State
|MLA||Oyedeji, Oluwafemi, et al. "SOCIO-DEMOGRAPHIC DETERMINANTS OF SMALL SCALE FARMERS’ LAND TENURE SYSTEM IN KWARA STATE." J. Agribus. Rural Dev. 48.2 (2018): 197-203.|
|APA||Oluwafemi Oyedeji, Esther Awotunde, Ezekiel Ojediran1, Segun Fakayode (2018). SOCIO-DEMOGRAPHIC DETERMINANTS OF SMALL SCALE FARMERS’ LAND TENURE SYSTEM IN KWARA STATE. J. Agribus. Rural Dev. 48 (2), 197-203|
|ISO 690||OYEDEJI, Oluwafemi, et al. SOCIO-DEMOGRAPHIC DETERMINANTS OF SMALL SCALE FARMERS’ LAND TENURE SYSTEM IN KWARA STATE. J. Agribus. Rural Dev., 2018, 48.2: 197-203.|
MSc Oluwafemi Oyedeji, Department of Agricultural Economics and Farm Management, University of Ilorin, PMB 1515 Ilorin, Kwara State, Nigeria
- Arua, E. O., Okorji, E. C. (1997). Multidimensional Analysis
- of Land Tenure systems in eastern Nigeria. Rome: FAO.
- Cotula, L., Vermeulen, S., Leonard, R., Keeley, J. (2009).
- Land grab or development opportunity? Agricultural investment
- and international land deals in Africa. Ethiopia,
- IIED, IFAD and FAO.
- De Schutter, O. (2011). How not to think of Land-Grabbing:
- three critiques of large-scale investments in farmland. J.
- Peas. Stud., 38(2), 23–36.
- Eze, C. C., Konkwo, S. O., Orebiyi, J. S., Kadiri, F. A. (2011).
- Land tenure system, Farm size, Innovation and Agricultural
- productivity in South-East Nigeria. Contributed paper
- for the Agricultural Economics Society‘s 85th Annual
- Conference held at University of Warwick 18th-20th April,
- Hallam, D., Cuffaro, N. (2011). “Land Grabbing” in Developing
- Countries: Foreign Investors, Regulations and Codes
- of Conduct. International Conference on Global Land
- Grabbing, 6-8 April, Brighton, United Kingdom.
- Hedeker, D. (2003). A mixed-effects Multinomial Logistic
- Regression Model. StatMed., 22, 1433–1446.
- KWSG (2006). Planning studies in Kwara State. Kwara State
- Government of Nigeria, Ministry of land and Regional
- Land Use Act (1978). Fed. Rep. Nigeria Offic. Gazet., 14, 65,
- McCullagh, P., Nelder, J. A. (1989). Generalized Linear Models.
- London: Chapman and Hall CRC.
- McFadden, D. (1973). Conditional Logit Analysis of Qualitative
- Choice Behaviour. In: Frontiers in Econometrics (pp.
- 105–142). Academic Press: New York. Retrieved from:
- Ojo, S. O. (2008). Effect of Land Acquisition for Large Scale
- Farming on the Performance of Small Scale Farming in
- Nigeria. J. Hum. Ecol., 24(1), 35–40.
- Ojo, S. O., Afolabi, J. A. (2003). Effects of Farm Distance
- on Productivity of Farms in Nigeria. J. Appl. Sci., 6(1),
- Rabe-Hesketh, S., Skrondal, A., Pickles, A. (2004). Gllamm-
- Manual. U.C. Berkeley Division of Biostatistics Working
- Paper Series.
- Skrondal, A., Rabe-Hesketh, S. (2003). Multilevel Logistic
- Regression for Polytomous Data and Rankings. Psychometrika,
- 68, 267–287.
- Train, K. (2003). Discrete Choice Methods with Simulation.
- New York: Cambridge University Press.
- Von Braun, J., Meinzen-Dick, R. (2009). “Land Grabbing” by
- Foreign Investors in Developing Countries: Risk and Opportunities.
- IFPRI Policy Brief.
- Zoomers, A. (2010). Globalisation and the Foreignisation of
- Space: Seven Processes Driving the Current Global Land
- Grabbing. J. Peas. Stud., 37(2), 56–78.