Zeszyt 2 (48) 2018 , DOI: 10.17306/J.JARD.2018.00411
Rabirou Kassali, Lateef Olatunbosun Jimoh
COMPETITIVENESS IN RICE PRODUCTION IN OSUN STATE, NIGERIA: THE POLICY ANALYSIS MATRIX APPROACH
This study assessed the competitiveness of rice production
under different varietal technologies in Osun State.
A multistage sampling technique was adopted to select the respondents
for the study. Both primary and secondary data, including
prices of inputs and outputs, rice yields, import tariff,
transportation cost, port loading and unloading charges and
official exchange rate, foreign exchange premium, etc., were
collected and analyzed using descriptive statistics and the
Policy Analysis Matrix (PAM) approach. The results revealed
that effective protection coefficients (EPC) for the three identified
rice varieties (Local, FARO53 and FARO54) were 0.89,
0.98 and 0.97, respectively. The Domestic Resource Cost
(DRC) was 0.84, 0.48 and 0.48; the Nominal Protection Coefficient
(NPC) on tradable inputs and outputs was 0.89, 0.98
and 0.97; while the Social Cost Benefit (SCB) was 0.85, 0.52
and 0.52 for the three varietal technologies, respectively. The
results indicate that rice farmers using the three varieties have
a comparative advantage (DRC < 1) in rice production in the
study area, and the two improved varieties provided a greater
competitiveness. The study concluded that Osun State has
a comparative advantage in rice production under the import
parity prices regime which, however, is not true under the assumptions
of export parity.
Keywords: rice varieties, comparative advantage, private and social profitability, policy analysis matrix
|MLA||Kassali, Rabirou, and Lateef Olatunbosun Jimoh. "COMPETITIVENESS IN RICE PRODUCTION IN OSUN STATE, NIGERIA: THE POLICY ANALYSIS MATRIX APPROACH." J. Agribus. Rural Dev. 48.2 (2018): 129-136.|
|APA||Rabirou Kassali, Lateef Olatunbosun Jimoh (2018). COMPETITIVENESS IN RICE PRODUCTION IN OSUN STATE, NIGERIA: THE POLICY ANALYSIS MATRIX APPROACH. J. Agribus. Rural Dev. 48 (2), 129-136|
|ISO 690||KASSALI, Rabirou, JIMOH, Lateef Olatunbosun. COMPETITIVENESS IN RICE PRODUCTION IN OSUN STATE, NIGERIA: THE POLICY ANALYSIS MATRIX APPROACH. J. Agribus. Rural Dev., 2018, 48.2: 129-136.|
PhD Rabirou Kassali, Department of Agricultural Economics, 220282, Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Osun State, Nigeria
- Akande, T. (2002). An Overview of the Nigeria Rice Economy.
- Monograph Series. Nigerian Institute of Social and
- Economic Research (NISER) Ibadan.
- Babatunde, R. O., Salami, M. F., Muhammed, B. A. (2017).
- Determinants of yield gap in rainfed and irrigated rice
- production systems – evidence from household survey in
- Kwara State, Nigeria. J. Agribus. Rural Dev., 1(43), 25–
- 33. http://dx.doi. org/10.17306/J.JARD.2017.00286
- FOS [Federal Office of Statistics] (2000). Annual Abstract of
- Statistics, Lagos, P.2.
- IRRI [International Rice Research Institute] (2001). Rice Statistics.
- Retrieved Feb 15th 2014 from: https://oryza.com/
- Monke, E., Pearson, S. (1989). The Policy Analysis Matrix
- for Agricultural Development. Cornell University Press.
- Ithaca, and London.
- Ogbe, A. O., Okoruwa, V. O., Saka, O. J. (2011). Competitiveness
- of Nigerian Rice and Maize Production Ecologies:
- A Policy Analysis Approach. Tropic. Subtropic. Agro
- Ecos., 14, 493–500.
- Osun State Agricultural Development Programme (OSSADEP)
- (1993). Report of Survey on Rice. Agricultural Extension
- Department. Iwo, Osun State, Nigeria: OSSADEP.
- Shobowale, O. J. (2000). Towards Developing A Coordinated
- Rice Seed Production. National Seed Service. (Mimeographed,
- Ibadan). Appl. Tropic. Agric., 2(2), 152–159.
- Tsegai, D. W., Kormawa, P. M. (2009). The determinants of
- urban households demand for cassava and cassava products
- in Kaduna, Northern Nigeria: An application of the
- AIDS model. Eur. J. Dev. Res., 2, 435–447.
- Ugochukwu, A. I., Ezedinma, C. I. (2011). Intensification of
- Rice Production Systems in Southeastern Nigeria: A Policy
- Analysis Matrix Approach. IJAMAD, 1(2), 89–100.
- UNEP (2005). Integrated Assessment of the Impact of Trade
- Liberation. A Country Study on the Nigerian Rice Sector.
- USDA Foreign Agricultural Service (2015). Grain and Feed
- annual. GAIN REPORT. Accessed 30 June 2016, available
- from: http://gain.fas.usda.gov/Recent%20GAIN%20
- WARDA (2003). Strategy for rice sector revitalization in
- Nigeria. Project Report -The Nigerian Rice Economy
- in a Competitive World: Constraints, Opportunities And
- Strategic Choices. Abidjan: WARDA – The Africa Rice
- Centre. Retrieved from: http://hubrural.org/IMG/pdf/nigeria_