Zeszyt 4 (46) 2017 , DOI: 10.17306/J.JARD.2017.00352
Rangarirai Roy Shoko, Abenet Belete
EFFICIENT PLANNING OF SORGHUM PRODUCTION IN SOUTH AFRICA – APPLICATION OF THE BOX-JENKIN’S METHOD
Estimation and forecasting of crop production are
crucial in supporting policy decisions regarding food security
and development issues. The present study examines the current
status of sorghum production in South Africa. Univariate
time series modelling using ARIMA model was developed for
forecasting sorghum production. Box and Jenkins linear time
series model, which involves autoregression, moving average,
and integration, also known as ARIMA (p, d, q) model
was applied. The annual production series of sorghum from
1960 to 2014 exhibited a decreasing trend while prediction
of sorghum production between 2017 and 2020 showed an
increasing trend. The study has shown that the best-fitted
model for sorghum production series is ARMA (1, 0, 4). The
model revealed a good performance in terms of explaining
variability and forecasting power. This study has also shown
that sorghum could contribute to the household and national
food security because of its drought-tolerant properties.
Keywords: ARIMA, sorghum production, forecasting, South Africa
|MLA||Shoko, Rangarirai Roy, and Abenet Belete. "EFFICIENT PLANNING OF SORGHUM PRODUCTION IN SOUTH AFRICA – APPLICATION OF THE BOX-JENKIN’S METHOD." J. Agribus. Rural Dev. 46.4 (2017): 835-841.|
|APA||Rangarirai Roy Shoko, Abenet Belete (2017). EFFICIENT PLANNING OF SORGHUM PRODUCTION IN SOUTH AFRICA – APPLICATION OF THE BOX-JENKIN’S METHOD. J. Agribus. Rural Dev. 46 (4), 835-841|
|ISO 690||SHOKO, Rangarirai Roy, BELETE, Abenet. EFFICIENT PLANNING OF SORGHUM PRODUCTION IN SOUTH AFRICA – APPLICATION OF THE BOX-JENKIN’S METHOD. J. Agribus. Rural Dev., 2017, 46.4: 835-841.|
MSc, Rangarirai Roy Shoko, Department of Agricultural Economics, University of Limpopo, Private Bag X1106 Sovenga 0727, South Africa,
- Awal M A, Siddique M A B. (2011). Rice production in Bangladesh employing by ARIMA model. Bangladesh Journal of Research, 36(1), 51-62.
- Badmus M A, Ariyo O S. (2011). Forecasting cultivated area and production of Maize in Nigerian using ARIMA Model. Asian Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 3(3), 171-176.
- Biswas R, Bhattacharyya B. (2013). ARIMA modelling to forecast area and production of rice in West Bengal. Journal of crop and weed, 9(2), 26-31.
- Box GEP, Jenkin GM. (1976). Time Series of analysis, forecasting and control, Sam Francisco, Holden-Day, California. USA.
- DAFF. (2010). Sorghum production guidelines. Obtainable from Resource Centre Directorate Agricultural Information Services Private Bag X144 Pretoria 0001.
- DAFF (2015). Abstract of Agricultural Statistics. (Accessed 20 August 2016), available at www.daff.gov.za/pdf.
- Ehab A, Frah H. (2016). Sudan Production of Sorghum; Forecasting 2016-2030 Using Autoregressive Integrated Moving Average ARIMA Model. American Journal of Mathematics and Statistics, 6(4): 175-181.
- Dlamini, NR. (2007). Effect of sorghum type and processing on the antioxidant properties of sorghum [Sorghum bicolor L.Moench] based foods. PhD Thesis, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, USA.
- Groenewald, JA. (2000). The Agricultural Marketing Act: A Post – Mortem. South African Journal of Economics, 68(3):161–176.
- Gujarati, DN., and Porter, DC. (2009). Basic Econometrics, 5th Edition. New York: McGraw-hill, USA.
- Jambhulkar, NN. (2013). Modelling of rice production in Punjab using ARIMA model. Int. j. sci. res. 2, ISSN No 2277 – 8179.
- Kok, P., and Collinson MA. (2006). Migration and urbanisation in South Africa. Statistics South Africa; Pretoria. Report 03-04-02
- LeBourvellec C., and Renard, CMGC. (2012). Interactions between Polyphenols and Macromolecules: Quantification Methods and Mechanisms. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 52: 213–248.
- Lüder J, Brauer A, and Jurisch R. (2012). Breakpoint detection within the time series: modelling approach upon paleoclimatic proxy data. In: Historical Social Research. 37: 315-325.
- Radebe, H. (2013). Biofuels offer sorghum new growth hopes. Business day live 04 January 2013.
- Taylor, J. R. N. (2003) Overview: Importance of sorghum in Africa, in Afripro: Workshop on the Proteins of Sorghum and Millets: Enhancing Nutritional and Functional Properties for Africa, Pretoria, 2–4 April 2003. Available from: www.afripro.org.uk (accessed November 2013).