Zeszyt 1 (47) 2018 , DOI: 10.17306/J.JARD.2018.00397
Enioluwa Jonathan Ijatuyi, Abiodun Olusola Omotayo, Busisiwe Nkonki-Mandleni
EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS OF FOOD SECURITY STATUS OF AGRICULTURAL HOUSEHOLDS IN THE PLATINUM PROVINCE OF SOUTH AFRICA
This paper gives a succinct report on an investigation
into the food security constraints of rural farming
households in the North West Province of South Africa. Data
presented was gathered across the four districts, and was analyzed
using descriptive statistics and inferential statistics. The
descriptive results showed that the mean age of rural farmers
was 55 years and the average household size was 7 members.
Logistic regression results on factors influencing food
security in the study showed that variables such as age of the
household’s head, household feeding rate, the total cost of
production, farm income and health expenditure had significant
impact on the respondents’ food security (at p < 0.05).
As shown by Probit regression results, constraints such as the
age of household head, food availability, veld fires, market
availability, predator invasion, health expenditure and veterinary
practices significantly influenced the achievement of
food security in the study area. This study concluded that rural
farming households were witnessing different dimensions of
food insecurity which affected different aspects of their social
and economic activities. It is therefore the responsibility of the
government to come up with a holistic approach to address
the present discrepancy in the national and grass-roots food
|MLA||Ijatuyi, Enioluwa Jonathan, et al. "EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS OF FOOD SECURITY STATUS OF AGRICULTURAL HOUSEHOLDS IN THE PLATINUM PROVINCE OF SOUTH AFRICA." J. Agribus. Rural Dev. 47.1 (2018): 29-38.|
|APA||Enioluwa Jonathan Ijatuyi, Abiodun Olusola Omotayo, Busisiwe Nkonki-Mandleni (2018). EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS OF FOOD SECURITY STATUS OF AGRICULTURAL HOUSEHOLDS IN THE PLATINUM PROVINCE OF SOUTH AFRICA. J. Agribus. Rural Dev. 47 (1), 29-38|
|ISO 690||IJATUYI, Enioluwa Jonathan, OMOTAYO, Abiodun Olusola, NKONKI-MANDLENI, Busisiwe. EMPIRICAL ANALYSIS OF FOOD SECURITY STATUS OF AGRICULTURAL HOUSEHOLDS IN THE PLATINUM PROVINCE OF SOUTH AFRICA. J. Agribus. Rural Dev., 2018, 47.1: 29-38.|
MSc Ijatuyi Enioluwa Jonathan, Department of Agricultural Economics and Extension, North-West University, School of Agricultural Sciences, private bag X 2046, Mmabatho, South Africa
- Abu, G. A., Soom, A. (2016). Analysis of factors affecting
- food security in rural and urban farming households
- of Benue State, Nigeria. Int. J. Food Agric. Econ., 4(1),
- Abur, C. C. (2014). Assessment of Food Security Status
- among Rural Farming Households in Guma Local Government
- Area of Benue State, Nigeria. Int. J. Hum. Soc.
- Sci., 1(2), 34–42.
- Agwu, N. M., Oteh, O. U. (2014). Analysis of income inequalities
- and food security among farmers in Abia State,
- South Eastern Nigeria. Scientific Papers Series Management,
- Econ. Eng. Agric. Rural Dev., 14(3), 7–13.
- Alem, Y., Köhlin, G., Stage, J. (2014). The persistence of subjective
- Poverty in urban Ethiopia. World Develop., 56,
- Altman, M., Hart, T. Jacobs, P. (2009). Food security in South
- Africa. Pretoria, South Africa: Human Science Research
- Blignaut, J. N., De Wit, M. P., Knot, J., Midgley, S., Crookes,
- D. J., Drimie, S. Nkambule, N. P. (2014). Sustainable
- agriculture: A viable option for enhanced food and nutritional
- security and a sustainable productive resource base in South Africa:
- An investigation. Baseline Review. Prepared
- for the Development Bank Southern Africa. Pretoria:
- ASSET Research.
- DAFF (2016). Abstract of Agricultural statistics. Pretoria,
- South Africa.
- De Cock, N., D’Haese, M., Vink, N., Van Rooyen, C. J.,
- Staelens, L., Schönfeldt, H. C., D’Haese, L. (2013). Food
- security in rural areas of Limpopo province, South Africa.
- Spring. J., 5, 269–282.
- D’Haese, L., Van Rooyen, J., Vink, N., Kirsten, J., Staelens,
- L., Van-damme, E., Shönfeld, H., Remaut-Dewinter, A.
- M., D’Haese, M. (2011). Food security: Limpopo Province.
- Retrieved Dec 12th 2016 from: http://www.up.ac.za/
- FAO (2003). Trade reforms and food securitu. Rome: FAO.
- Ijatuyi, E. J. (2016). Assessment of extension and advisory
- services on Nguni cattle development project beneficiaries
- in North West province. Unpublished MSc dissertation,
- North-West University, South Africa.
- Kemalbay, G., Korkmazoğlu, Ö. B. (2014). Categorical Principal
- Component Logistic Regression: A Case Study for
- Housing Loan Approval. Proc. Soc. Behav. Sci., 109,
- Krejcie, R. V., Morgan, D. W. (1970). Determining sample
- size for research activities. Edu. Psych. Meas., 30(1),
- Irohibe, I. J., Agwu, A. E. (2014). Assessment of Food Security
- Situation among Farming Households in Rural Areas
- of Kano State, Nigeria. J. Cen. Euro Agri., 15(1), 94–107.
- Labadarios, D., Davids, Y. D., Mchiza, Z., Weir-Smith, G.
- (2009). The assessment of food insecurity in South Africa.
- Pretoria: Centre for Poverty, Employment, and Growth,
- Human Sciences Research Council.
- NDA (2013). South Africa yearbook 2013/14 on Agriculture.
- Pretoria, South Africa.
- Ogunkoya, F. T. (2014). Socioeconomic factors that affect
- livestock numbers: A case study of smallholder cattle and
- sheep farmers in the Free State province of South-Africa.
- Submitted for the degree of Master of Science in Agriculture.
- South Africa: University of South Africa.
- Oluwatayo, I. B., Rachoene, M. A. (2017). Effect of Agricultural
- Commercialization on Food Security among smallholder
- farmers in Polokwane Municipality, Capricorn District
- of Limpopo Province, South Africa. J. Agribus Rur
- Develop., 1(43), 143–156.
- Omonona, B. T., Oni, O. A., Akpan, E. (2007). The Determinants
- of Demand for Nigeria’s Agricultural Export Commodities.
- Pakis. J. Soc. Sci., 4(2), 247–251.
- Omotesho, O. A., Adewumi, M. O., Fadimula, K. S. (2007).
- Food Security and Poverty of the Rural Households in
- Kwara State, Nigeria. AAAE Conference Proceedings,
- Shisana, O., Labadarios, D., Rehle, T., Simbayil, L., Zuma,
- K., Dhansay, A., Reddy, P., Parker, W., Hoosain, E., Naidoo,
- P., Hongoro, C., Mchiza, Z., Steyn, N. P., Dwane, N.,
- Makoae, M., Maluleke, T., Ramlagan, S., Zungu, N., Evans,
- M. G., Jacobs, L., Faber, M., & SANHANES-1 Team.
- (2013). South African National Health and Nutrition Examination
- Survery. Capetown, South Africa: HSRC press.
- Shuttleworth, M. (2008). Descriptive research design. Retrieved
- June 20th 2017 from https://explorable.com/
- Waggins, S., Keats, S. (2009). Current State of Food Security
- in African and Africa-Eu partnership on the Millennium
- Development Goals. A paper for the 2nd Joints Experts
- Growing Meeting, Africa-EU MDGS Partnership, subgroup
- on priority Action 2: Accelerate the food security
- targets of the MDGs. Pretoria, South Africa. March, 24.